Saturday 30 July 2016

Redesigning a backpack

We have a backpack that we took everywhere with us while we were courting and exploring Scottish coastal villages and English border towns. It has been on many transatlantic trips over the years. Our babies climbed on it when their learned to pull themselves up, dragged it along airport floors when they learned to walk and expected endless amounts of treats to appear from its depths. It certainly has depths.

The backpack is sturdy and useful. Nothing is wrong with it except for cosmetic flaws. Even after going through the washing machine, it is yucky looking.
It is nostalgic and I cannot bear to let it go because of a few stains.
The grubby backpack front
I decided to re-cover it. I thought it would be fun to have a star and stripe theme. Very American.


The stars were a bit fiddly - applique is not my thing I decided - but the stripes were extremely satisfying
I cannibalized an old backpack to get the nappy wipe dispenser on the bottom. The other backpack was only good for the dispenser - the rest was falling apart and cheapo.
I also created a place for a clip in case I need to clip on separate bags of groceries/rubbish/etc.
I cannot wait to wear it!
Packed and ready to go!





No comments:

Post a Comment