Friday 29 July 2016

Medieval Dress

Golden Gown

I found the fabric in a charity shop - it used to be curtains. Edinburgh ceilings are high, with windows and curtains to match, so I think there must have been 6+ yards in between the two curtains. Unfortunately I realized when I got home that they were dry clean only. I threw the curtains in the washing machine anyway and it did fine on the gentle cycle.

Someone told me once that medieval dresses were usually only two pieces of fabric, cinched at the sides with lacings. I found a record of a dress with multiple pieces - separate for bodice and skirt - which belonged to Queen Margaret of Denmark, Norway and Sweden.





I eventually put leather cord in to hold it together as the fabric is HEAVY!
I took a photo of the lady I made it for but the photos were lost!

No comments:

Post a Comment