Saturday 2 July 2016

The Super Dad Pack

International Travel Dad changes diapers in airplane bathrooms. International Travel Dad carries three bags and children. International Travel Dad goes without sleep for 26 hours to get his family to safety. International Travel Dad is Super Dad under cover.



D said after our first few transatlantic flights with kids that, 'Everyone else always seems so well prepared and to have everything they need. I don't know how they do it.'

So I put my mind to it and realized although we take a lot of things we need in an emergency, they are not always where we need them.

I then researched travel vests and made me own. This was good for me because it meant the essentials were never up in the overhead lockers. I could just pop the tissue out of my pockets, or the wipes and diapers.

But this didn't solve D feeling like he never had what he needed - especially if he and one or both children were far from me.

So we came up with the idea of the Super Dad Pack.

It is a collection of things that D puts in his pockets. He takes it out at Security so I try to keep everything in small baggies - no loose change. Man pockets tend to be bigger than lady pockets so he can usually fit:
  • money in different currencies - airports take any but we usually have a certain currency that is cheaper to buy or we have coins that need using up
  • phone
  • phone charger
  • mints
  • earbuds
  • tissue
  • wipes - I repackage 5 wipes into a small ziplock baggie and replenish this baggie as needed
  • a pen
  • a small notepad / sticky notepad
  • a rubber band or two - good for closing up packets of food we leave half-eaten or letting your kids play with for hours, shooting it across airport lounges
  • a disposable spoon
  • a travel toothbrush in a case 
  • ziplock bag
  • a surprise! (in photo below happy/sad face stickers which might occupy the children or which might give Mom a laugh if he sticks an 'unhappy sticker' on the forehead of a squalling baby)
Travel has a way of throwing unexpected circumstances at you but with these essentials you can battle many foes.

No comments:

Post a Comment